12V Sockets in Center Console

Cobalt Auxilary plugs, 12V cigarette lighter sockets





There is 1 in the console on the right hand side and one above the cup holders on the left hand side.  For a total of 2 12V (12 volt like the battery) sockets in the middle console.


The one in the lower middle by the parking brake broke when I removed the middle console to install the armrest.  There is a small plastic tab holding it in place you need to depress to have some play in the wiring to move the console plastic part around.  I managed to snap the tiny tab right up on the white plastic circle when I was trying to remove it.  The other option was to undo the end of the plug from the wiring and there was something not easy about that so I went with take the socket out from the front to undo the wiring.



I recently read that there is a plug in the trunk, not sure if it is a feature specific to certain models as I have never seen one in the trunk.








The difficult thing about taking the plastic rings off is you have to cut them off basically.  Pressing on the 2 plastic tabs does not release the ring because there is the metal part behind that the plastic tabs press on when you press on them so there is a special tool to remove the 12v cigarette lighter, it is a metal T shape tool you put in and twist but some say it doesn't work and I don't even think you can based on my experience.  As I said there is metal behind the push tabs.

Part 2.  So you push in the metal tabs some and try to work the metal out.  However, then the plastic ring remains and again you are trying to depress the tabs but they only move so far so you end up snapping the tabs.  So that means you need to buy a new ring if you ever have to swap the console trim.

All that being said.  If your ring is broken like mine was it does have enough wiring to be pulled out forward so that you can disconnect the plug in the back.  I then used a knife to cut the tabs off and had to slowly slide the ring over the metal.  Took like 5 minutes of pushing and pulling.  I put a new ring on easily slide on for the most part.  I put the black plastic ring in the hole then slide the metal in it but had to get a hammer in the end to get the last few millimeters or whatever of the metal into the ring.

Very annoying!  I do not recommend you fool with the 12v cigarette lighters.